Thursday 8 April 2010

Stop Gap Posting Glory

No, it's not an awful band name, but a statement of fact. While I was looking forward to spending my mountains of free time between jobs (trying to freelance into film) looking up bands and posting on here, I'm ill. Not life-threatening, dying, but urgh-I-can't-be-bothered-just-wanna-stay-in-bed ill. AKA Studenti-itis.

It always means I've been slack on getting the next big album (for me) this year, in the form of Sigur Ros' lead singer Jonsi's (now completely) solo album. I have heard nothing. Mainly through lack of enthusiasm on my part. But hey, I'm ill, innit.

So rather than speculate on what that album probably sounds like (plenty of big words like soundscape, orchestral, reflecting the beautiful yet troubled natural environment of his mother country, Iceland), I'll leave that for another time. What's also for another time is for me to realise that its an album of balls-out metal that relates to none of the description I made above, but I hope that isn't true.

Instead, then, the onus is on me to find something interesting to talk about. A Myspace hunt seems to be in order, and where better to start than those Russian ex-president-o-philes, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin.

Unfortunately, they seem to be reliant more on their, unique - I'm sure, name rather than making half decent noise to get along. Sub-par Indie Pop all the way. Which is a shame. Luckily, it isn't the worst Band Name/Quality inverse ratio out there. Bono Must Die have the best band name ever but sound somehow worse than their intended target. If anything, this teaches us not to judge bands by their names. (see also, Alcoholic Faith Mission)

With this in mind, and searching through SSLYBY for a likely candidate, The Shrimp Boat Pirates hover into view on the radar. This bedroom wonder is actually a rather pleasant sounding solo project, although it seems to have been ditched for now. Ironically sounds a lot like SSLYBY, but with a crisper, more minimal sound. What is off-putting is that the other project being promoted here is the musician's other project, The Oceanic 4. Erm... yeah.

I'm starting to lose hope, and the best traditions of writing, give up.

No comments: