Wednesday 2 April 2008

Reading/Leeds Festival Line-up reaction (MAIN STAGE FRIDAY)

I got my ticket for this year's festival in the earlybird sale after last year's festival. 2008 will be my fourth Reading Festival. Now I'm going to go through the line-up and speculate what bands I might see. Purely for my benefit, really.

FRIDAY READING/SATURDAY LEEDS
MAIN STAGE:
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
-Oh dear god yes, I've been hoping for this since their announcement for Coachella last year. I was one of those people who only got into them after they split up, and was having an interesting conversation with someone who had seen them before and was wondering if they are still as good as they were. if the footage on Youtube is anything to go by, they haven't lost it yet. Quite possibly looking to be my band of the weekend, and I've not even gone yet. But that's bias for you.
Can't Wait to Hear: "Freedom"

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE
I've seen them a couple of times before, and they are one of those bands whose live sound is so tight and skillful, despite the line-up changing every time Josh Homme gets his hair cut. I'm looking forward to hearing the stuff from Era Vulgaris, but their best song live has always been No One Knows. (Performed at 2005's festival here)
Can't Wait to Hear: "Sick, Sick, Sick"

THE FRATELLIS
I think this was one of the early bookings, made when people still remember this band. It's 2008 now, and everyone's (unfortunately) still talking about...

THE ENEMY
The baton has been passed and "This year's Fratellis", hopefully short of their decimation of a Bowie classic, are fourth down the list on the main stage moving up from halfway through the NME Stage last year. They will attract a big crowd, although are up against the duo of hype bands MGMT and Vampire Weekend on the NME stage.

BIFFY CLYRO
Just like Steven Gerrard for England, Biffy are always one of the first names on the teamsheet for the big game, and 2008 is no exception. They were at 3 of the 4 last festivals plus many before, yet somehow I've always managed to miss them. Although the new album is not quite to my taste, its worth seeing them for "Joy.Discovery.Invention".
Can't Wait to Hear: Anything from Blackened Sky, except "Christopher's River", obviously.

SERJ TANKIAN
System Of A Down's joint-frontman Serj, continues his solo world jaunt with a stop at Reading and Leeds. I saw him supporting Foo Fighters at the O2 and although I've never been a SOAD fan, his set was fun, if all a bit too much like his main band.

DIZZEE RASCAL
Returning after playing before Primal Scream on the NME Stage in 2006, Dizzee returns with some new material from his upcoming untitled album.

TAKING BACK SUNDAY
I'm alright, thanks.

GET CAPE, WEAR CAPE, FLY
I've not heard much, but I didn't like what I'd heard. Plus I've been told bad things about the new album.

ANTI-FLAG
Legendary modern day punk outfit anti-flag, complete with frontman Justin Sane, prop up the Main Stage bill, and will probably be playing yet another face-shattering set in the Lock-Up Tent, much as Jimmy Eat World did last year.

No comments: