Wednesday 16 April 2008

Astronomy Metronomy

Photobucket
Ever since seeing them* supporting CSS in Brixton in December, no, actually, since I heard their name about a year ago but couldn't find any albums by them in HMV, I've been very curious about METRONOMY.

Via some, ahem, semi-legal means I managed to obtain a copy of their debut album (If anyone can provide me a British retailer who stocks the album let me know) Pip Paine (Pay The £5000 You Owe), and absolutely loved it. It really is an awesome album for fans of off-kilter bedroom-produced Indie-dance.

Live, the trio jerk around like Kraftwerk's robots and are occasionally joined by a female dance troupe. They also like to model B&Q light fittings that come on when you hit them.

My Heart Rate Rapid is their latest single and has all the jaunt and splendour of the drum-machined and solo produced debut album, as well as the marginally poppier sound of their previous single, Radio Ladio.

I think they are absolutely brilliant and can't wait for their next album, reportedly going by the name "Nights Out" and due for release on June 30th. They are also heavily rumoured to be playing a few festivals this summer, including Reading and Leeds.

*I say them, on record it is technically just Joseph Mount, but he is (usually) joined live by Gabriel Stebbing and Oscar Cash.
The photo is cunningly stolen from Drowned In Sound, and is credited to Erik Lande.

No comments: